CALL FOR PAPERS
“ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT. IMPACT
OF TOURISM IN THIS PROCESS”
Faculty of Economy, University of Tirana
December 15-16, 2023
The Faculty of Economy is pleased to announce the International Conference “Economic
Restructuring for Sustainable Development: The Impact of Tourism in this Process”, which will
take place on 15 -16 December, 2023.
Structural but also geopolitical changes are being observed across the world in the post-pandemic
era. The significant impact of virtual communication, already a universal reality, and the need to
increase human and cultural interaction between different countries and regions, as shown by the
increase in tourist and migratory flows across the globe, have undoubtedly brought unexpected
effects in the long-term objectives.
For the Balkans, as a developing region and geographically located in the heart of the European
continent, with high interest in the geopolitical approach and the relationship with the EU, these
effects have and should focus on the re-dimensioning of the strategies towards sustainable and
inclusive development, which should translate into reforms and not be left to chance.
The tourism sector is an opportunity that should not be missed. It’s becoming increasingly evident
that the Albanian economy possesses natural advantage, which can become a crucial component in
the country's development. The Albanian economy, with modest achievements in the creation of
industries with positive effects on the economies of scale, but with high cultural, natural and
historical diversity, should direct and engage financial and human resources to generate quality added
value in this sector.
On the other side, the long-term presence of demographic shrinkage and human
capital outflow, as well as gender discrimination in the labour market, are not a good premise to
support tourism development, even though there is a trend to recruit foreigners to work in this sector.
And it is certain that Tourism cannot reach its potential or contribute to sustainable development
without the necessary infrastructural support and clear institutional rules, without keeping up with the
rapid innovations in technology and IT, as well as without the strong support from other sectors that
provide support services to the sector. Additionally, the combination of domestic policies with
EU-funded development projects for the region, the prioritization of investments and fiscal
orientation at both levels of the government, as well as the recognition of ownership rights on
immovable property, makes the whole environment extremely challenging.
The goal of the conference is to bring together academics and researchers from all areas of economic
development and tourism. We kindly invite the submission of full papers to be presented at the
Areas of interest include (but are not limited to):
● EU tourism policy and institutions’ challenges
● National and Regional Tourism Policy
● Tourism Financing Models
● Investment Opportunities in Albanian Tourism
● Tourism and related sectors in the era of ICT innovations
● Tourism-led Economic Recovery
● Tourism Management
● Tourism Economics,
● Tourism Marketing,
● The future of work and skills development in tourism
● Financial Impacts of Seasonal Tourism
● Decentralization and local economy challenges from local government
● Monetary Policy impact on Tourism sector
● Immovable property market and construction sector
● International strategic collaborations in green economy sector of Albania
● Tourism Research and Methodology
● Tourism Taxation and Fiscal Policies
● Risk Assessment and Management in the tourism sector
● Performance Metrics for Tourism Entities
● Tourism and Agribusiness industry
● Tourism and Environment
● Travel Insurance Market
The Conference will be a hybrid event, with both in-person and virtual participation.
The conference language will be English.
Important dates (extended)
- Extended Abstract Submission Deadline: November 30th, 2023
- Register as attendee: November 30th, 2023.
- Full Paper Submission Deadline for first review: December 14th, 2023
Time & Location
● Conference schedule: December 15-16, 2023
● City: Tirana, Albania
All submitted papers will be subject to a double-blind peer-review process. Full papers will be published
in the Journal of the Faculty of Economy, University of Tirana “The Albanian Journal of Economy and
Business”, ISSN 2219-3200.
For submission of abstracts and any other communication related to the conference, please contact us at:
We look forward to reading your proposals.